Click to Home
On the Watertown Seal is a picture of an English Colonist and an Indian exchanging, as peace tokens,  bread for fish.  Captain Roger Clap landed at Nantasket Point in 1630 and rode up Charles River to Gerry's Landing with the first party of Watertown Colonists.
Go To Search
Marriage Licenses
Obtaining a Marriage License
In Massachusetts one of the most important steps in planning a wedding – whether a religious or secular ceremony – is obtaining a marriage license. If the wedding is to be performed in Massachusetts, the couple can obtain a license from any City or Town Clerk in Massachusetts.

To obtain a marriage license you must be at least 18 years old. The couple must go together to the Office of the Town Clerk. The Marriage Intention must be completed by the couple in person, in the Office of the Town Clerk. Marriage Intention forms cannot be mailed or taken out of the office.

The filing fee is $25 and can be paid at Town Hall with cash or check. The couple should consider the date and place of the wedding, the name of the officiate and the name that each party will use after the wedding. Either one of the couple (or someone known to them) can pick up the Marriage License on the fourth day after the filing of the Intention. Note: As of January 28, 2005 blood tests are no longer required for the issuance of a marriage license.

For more information please call the Town Clerk's Office at (617) 972-6486.

Watertown Town Clerk Application Hours
Watertown Town Clerk application hours are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm, and Tuesday, 8:30 am - 7:00 pm. Please arrive at least one hour before the office closes to allow enough time to complete the forms.

Important Dates to Remember
You cannot receive your Marriage License until the fourth day after filing the Intention, unless a court order is obtained. The wedding ceremony must be performed within 60 days of the date of filing the Marriage Intention.

What Do I Do with the License?
Bring the original license to the officiate of the wedding. To register the marriage, the officiate (a member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace who is commissioned in Massachusetts who presides over the ceremony) must sign the license in black ink and return it directly to the City Clerk or Town Clerk that issued the license.

View more information about receiving copies of your Marriage License.