Activities by the Senior Center during COVID-19
As of March 2020 and due to COVID-19 and the closure of the Senior Center until further notice, many programs have moved to a remote ZOOM format. Please call the Senior Center at (617) 972-6490 to register for the program you would like to join and you will receive the access information to join via Zoom. Don’t have a computer? Make sure to request the dial-in information and you can participate via your telephone.
You will find the day and time for all activities listed in the Watertown Senior News published monthly and available here online, and at the Watertown Senior Center, Town Hall, and Free Public Library and, at local banks, grocery stores, post offices and malls at the beginning of the month pending any COVID-19 restrictions. The newsletter may also be mailed upon request.
Link to Honoring Choices Massachusetts Health Care Proxy Info
- Art Class with Dawn, 10:00 AM
- Chair Yoga with Diane, 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Coffee and Conversation with a Guest Speaker (Public Safety coffee, Director coffee), check the newsletter or call for details; 10 AM to 12 PM
- Tai Chi and Meditation with Marie, 12:30 PM to 1:30 PM
- Line Dancing, 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Zoom Exercise - check newsletter for details
- Monthly Book Club-see newsletter for date
- Pilates, 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
- Talk with Tom, 10:30 AM to 12 PM
- Exercise with Shannon Lee Jones, 10:00 AM
- Seated Strength and Balance with Pearl, 12 PM to 1 PM
- Sing with the Mellowtones, check newsletter for time
Make sure to check our future newsletters for new classes and special presentations.
Coming in April and May 2021 - pre-recorded Senior Center program segments on Watertown Cable Access TV.
An important message for Watertown Senior Citizens and their families about COVID vaccinations. The State has opened up scheduling for seniors at various sites across the Commonwealth. Registration is done online and at this time, there is a high volume of registrants and many sites are experiencing little or no availability of appointments. We encourage you to keep trying to access an appointment, as more sites will open up in the weeks ahead. Families, please provide computer assistance for your elderly family members or, if you do not have access to a computer, call the Hotline at 2-1-1 for assistance. Please be patient. It may take several weeks to get an appointment at a location near you. As more sites are opened and more vaccines are made available, be assured that you will get a vaccine. Information on the State mass vaccination sites and eligibility is available at https://www.mass.gov/info-details/when-can-i-get-the-covid-19-vaccine.
Services Available by Telephone
- MetroWest Legal Services
- SHINE Medicare Health Insurance Counseling
- Renew a Senior Parking Permit - see below for details.
- Case Worker assistance with applying for
- senior housing,
- home heating fuel (LIHEAP),
- SNAP (food stamps),
- MassHealth, or
- other emergency issues.
Call the Senior Center at (617) 972-6490 or email SeniorCenter@watertown-ma.gov for more information. If there is no answer, please leave a message and someone will get back to you. Services are provided over the phone or may be limited due to person availability. Call with questions.
Property Tax Work-Off Program
New applications for FY22 will be accepted starting June 2021. Click here for application. Due to COVID-19, this program may be modified or canceled at any time. Please call us at (617) 972-6490 if you have questions or call the Veterans Services Officer at (617) 972-6416.
Watertown Senior Shuttle
Due to COVID-19, the Bus is running on a limited, appointment- only schedule, traveling only to the Stop & Shop on Watertown Street at this time. We have limited the service runs to 6 riders plus the driver. We continue to monitor the service with proper PPE and safe-rider distancing policies. Masks must be worn. Please call us at (617) 972-6490 for more information and to schedule your ride.
This service, provided by a grant from the Marshall Home Fund, is available based on driver availability for last minute, medical or other service appointments. Due to COVID-19, this service is now very limited. Please call us at (617) 972-6490 at least 2 days in advance so we can help to schedule your ride.
Senior Parking Permits
Renew by phone, or schedule a brief in-person appointment to purchase a new permit. Call (617) 972-6490 for information. For residents 65+. Permits are $3.00 for two years and $2.00 for one year for up to 2 hours of free metered parking in municipal parking lots (not metered street parking).
Watertown Food Pantry
- Open Tuesdays 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Located at 80 Mount Auburn Street, rear.
- Wear a mask or face covering.
- Donations accepted Tuesdays 8:30 AM - 2:00 PM.
- For more Information: Watertown Food Pantry
Watertown High School Building Project