Economic Development Study
Please see Town Hall and Senior Center Summer Hours/Holidays 2021... Read on...
Please join us at the Poppy Picnic on Friday, May 28, 2021 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. Read on...
Read the Town Manager's Coronavirus (COVID19) Update for May 7, 2021. Additional Info...
The final report of the study, Strategic Framework for Economic Development, is now available!
What is an Economic Development Study?
The Town of Watertown conducted a planning study to set the direction for economic development within the Town. This effort provides a framework for future decisions about specific projects while promoting overall economic activity.
The study complements ongoing and future open space, zoning, housing, and transportation and parking studies to form an updated comprehensive master plan, which will promote and guide responsible development activity in Watertown.
View the meeting notice for more information:
The project goals are to undertake strategic planning efforts to facilitate economic development activity in the community, including
1. Promote appropriate economic development activity throughout the town
2. Identify key opportunity sites within the established commercial and industrial districts
3. Identify solutions to ongoing issues that restrict commercial investment and retail activity in certain districts
4. Develop implementation strategies, build capacity, and clarify roles and responsibilities for economic development
5. Engage the public, merchants and businesses, real estate community, Town leaders, and other stakeholders.
The Steering Committee for the project is the Economic Sub-Committee of the Town Council and the Planning Board, with staff oversight provided by the Department of Planning and Community Development.
The consultant team includes Mt. Auburn Associates, economic development; Madden Planning Group, strategic planning, engagement and implementation; and Gamble Associates, urban design.
The study is funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Economic Development Special Projects Inititiative.
"Community Workshop: Vision and Implementation"
December 16, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The Apartments at the Coolidge School
319 Arlington St, Watertown
"Planning for Watertown's Economic Future: A Community Workshop to Discuss Development Options."
September 30, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Watertown High School Cafeteria