Open Space Planning
Arsenal Park Master Plan Update
Ongoing Design Progress on Phase B
- Winter 2020-2021: Commission discussion and review of specific elements of the Phase B area of Arsenal Park. See below for progress drawings.
Phase A Construction Underway
Construction of Phase A, the easternmost section of the park, began in late spring 2020. Final installations and plantings will occur in spring 2021.
Conservation Commission Design Approval and 25% Design
- October & December 2017 - Commission discussion and recommendation for Arsenal Park Master Plan to move forward to 25% design
- March 2018 Conservation Commission Conceptual Design Plan to be used for 25% designs (design meetings held in December 2018 and January 2019)
- February 2019 Conservation Commission design review and approval to move forward to Town Council:
- Approved Arsenal Park Design Plan (as of July 9, 2019)
Community Noticing and Online Surveys (2017):
Notification Request: Notify Me: Sign up for notices on this project and other long-range planning efforts in Watertown. Any project updates will be emailed to those who have signed up for our emails.
Community Park Questions: Results of the survey (closed).
Design Public Meetings (2017):
Community Meeting Number Two: Options for Design and Enhancements Held October 11, 2017
- Held on Wednesday, October 11 -6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Commander's Mansion - 440 Talcott Avenue
- Next Step - Finalize the Master Plan update at the Conservation Commission
See the Content for Community Meeting Number One held August 15, 2017
- When: Tuesday, August 15 -6:30-8:30 p.m.
- Where: Watertown Library - Watertown Savings Bank Room
- Survey Results: Arsenal Survey Number 1 (PDF) (Closed)
- Meeting Documents: Click the link to explore the presentation, breakout meeting summary, and look at the breakout sessions map exercise with comments received: Document Center Meeting Folder (PDF)
- Within the folder, there is a link to the online comments (PDF) received through August 31.
- Presentation: Meeting Presentation (PDF) with Breakout summary report out.
- Summary of report out of Breakout Session: Think holistically (50 years) Protect forested areas soundproof amphitheater Tennis back board Covered and more picnic tables Added stormwater mitigation Keep current with needs Perimeter path in cinder or wood chips Mounding area near tennis courts for passive Reforest amphitheater since it doesn't work Add or relocate bathroom and playground Signage to get to park and parking is not enough Enhance east side (need activity and access) Lights - tennis and other areas for safety Remove couple of tennis courts for 6-year-olds Fountain and flower garden Connections to river Safety for walking at night New pool and constraints are not real Enclose tennis courts and provide viewing area East west and north south access ways through park Regular maintenance (sidewalks, picnic table, etc.) Splash pad should be enhanced expanded for visual interest More covered spaces More benches Bike racks throughout the park Bike path access needs to be thoughtfully designed Look at commander mansion and arsenal park together Add a tot lot near the eastern end entrance level/fix sports field
The Watertown Department of Community Development and Planning is holding community meetings to discuss Arsenal Park and the potential for design/redesign of some areas within the park. Anyone interested in learning more about Arsenal Park and in sharing ideas about how the park should be designed and used is encouraged to participate in the process. Of particular interest is the design of the eastern section of the park which includes the existing courts and open space adjacent to the Arsenal Yards and connectivity into and through the park.